Friday, January 2, 2015

Stubborn



Last spring a young friend asked me how on earth I managed to finish the thesis/monograph for the Master Weaver certificate.  She was struggling to finish her thesis for a degree.

Since she was an athlete I figured I would use a metaphor that she could relate to and told her that it was just like running a marathon - when you hit the wall you just keep on going.

There are many times in my life I have wanted to throw in the towel (another sport metaphor!) and give up on something but rarely have I done so.  I'm not talking about little things - a warp that has gone badly awry, for instance - in that case I'm only too happy to use the scissor solution!
 
I'm talking about the big things, the things that matter, deeply.  The things that are, by their very nature, difficult, daunting and at times, may seem nearly impossible.

But I'm stubborn.  I find it mildly amusing that a character fault (according to my mother who frequently wondered where I got my stubbornness from) seems to have morphed into a positive attribute!

Generally just about when I'm ready to toss in the towel, a friend will remind me of what achieving the goal means.  They will help me see that yes, I can get up and get going again.  But it is my choice.  It is always about choice.

Having a research project to look forward to for post-recovery has given me fresh energy and incentive to get things done.  To look forward with enthusiasm rather than dread.  To focus on the after, not the during.  Because once again, this is temporary, I will get through it.  And while the road is going to be a bit bumpy for a while, it is just a small part of the journey.

So a big thank you to my family and friends who remind me of who I really am.  And of what I would like to accomplish as a person and as a weaver/teacher.

Currently reading Common Ground by Justin Trudeau.

4 comments:

Martha said...

Thank you so much for your unique perspective once again, Laura. I have learned so much from you from your blogs and from your books. Forging ahead has been my way, too, especially when the going was difficult!
Wishing you the very best as we begin a new year!

Fran said...

Hmmm........You just talked me in to cutting off a saggy warp. I am very dogged, too, so sometimes I just want to persevere, (in the wrong places, too.)
I always appreciate your insights.

Peg Cherre said...

I discovered many years ago that our greatest strengths are also our greatest weaknesses, and vice versa. We need to appreciate what those qualities give us, and their counterpoints, for me often found in my family and friends.

Dorothy said...

Happy New Year! Keep going Laura - and I hope 2015 is a year of good fortune for you.